WE APPRECIATE THE EARTH
At Barkwells we do our best to be good stewards of the land and ourselves. We are big believers in natural cleaners and a sustainable environment beyond the natural spring fed ponds and fresh mountain air. Although this retreat is not 100% organic, we use:
- Natural, pet and people-friendly cleaning products to clean cabins and non-toxic, chemical free, non-phosphate soaps to launder linens.
- Anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal aromatherapy essential oils like peppermint and thyme and create our own, all natural furniture polish.
- We support local business wherever we can!
- Washers are high efficiency units that use only 15 gallons of water compared to 40 gallons for standard washers. The dryers are high efficiency, energy star rated to use less electricity.
- In case of doggie accidents on the floors (heaven forbid!), there is a bottle of enzyme based cleaner in each cabin.
- Toilet tissue (recycled paper) and starters of recycled paper towels for guest use in each cabin. Our septic systems are sensitive to anything other than toilet paper so we thank you for not stressing them.
- Amenities are all natural, BeeKind soap, shampoo and lotion from Gilchrist & Soames. Meyers Green Day soap is in the kitchen.
- Starters of organic, fair trade coffee locally roasted at BeanWerks in West Asheville, along with unbleached coffee filters.
- Recycle bins are at each cabin for glass, aluminum, plastic and paper.
- Light bulbs are LEDs and Energy Star appliances.
- Compost containers with bio-bag liners are available for recycling kitchen scraps.
- Organic herbs and vegetables are planted around the property.