WE APPRECIATE THE EARTH
At Barkwells, we do our best to be good stewards of the environment and land. We are big believers in caring not only for the space we have intentionally created, but for all that is beyond the natural, spring-fed ponds and fresh mountain air within our fences. In fact, Barkwells has a Conserving Carolina Conservation Easement and is a certified wildlife habitat.
We utilize natural, non-toxic cleaning products and have incorporated EPA-approved cleaning and disinfecting products specifically for COVID along with our natural, pet and people-friendly cleaning products.
Additionally, we utilize:
- Non-toxic, chemical free, non-phosphate soaps to launder linens
- Anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal aromatherapy essential oils like peppermint and thyme and create our own all natural furniture polish
- Washers that are high efficiency units, using only 15 gallons of water compared to 40 gallons for standard washers. The dryers are high efficiency, ENERGY STAR®.
- Enzyme-based cleaners that are kept in each cabin in case of doggie accidents on the floors (heaven forbid!)
- Toilet tissue from a small business that uses recycled bamboo (see our Who Gives a Crap blog post) and recycled paper towels for guest use in each cabin. Our septic systems are sensitive to anything other than toilet paper so we thank you for not stressing them.
- All natural guest amenities: BeeKind soap, shampoo, and lotion from Gilchrist & Soames; Mrs. Meyers Clean Day soap in the kitchen
- Starters of organic, fair trade coffee locally roasted at Bean Werks in West Asheville, along with unbleached coffee filters
- Recycle bins are at each cabin for glass, aluminum, plastic and paper
- LED light bulbs and ENERGY STAR® appliances
- Compost containers with bio-bag liners available for recycling kitchen scraps
- Almond oil to discourage carpenter bees when cabins are sealed
- We support local business wherever we can!