With its completion in 1895, the Biltmore Estate became the largest privately owned home in the United States, encompassing an astonishing 178,926 square feet of living space. Designed by architect Richard Morris Hunt, the mansion boasts a harmonious blend of Châteauesque and Renaissance architectural styles, featuring intricate stonework, elaborate tapestries, and a wealth of exquisite furnishings.
Beyond the mansion's grandeur, the Biltmore Estate encompasses a vast and beautifully landscaped estate that spans over 8,000 acres. The meticulously manicured gardens were designed by Frederick Law Olmsted, the visionary landscape architect behind New York City's Central Park.
The estate's gardens showcase a stunning array of plants, including vibrant flower displays, serene water features, and lush greenery that changes with the seasons. The surrounding forests provide opportunities for outdoor activities such as hiking and horseback riding, allowing visitors to immerse themselves in the natural beauty of the estate.
Today, the Biltmore Estate continues to enchant visitors from around the world. Beyond its architectural and natural marvels, the estate offers an array of experiences, including guided tours of the mansion that provide insights into the Vanderbilt family's lifestyle, a winery that produces award-winning wines, and various seasonal events that celebrate holidays and the changing seasons.
The Biltmore Estate stands as a captivating historical landmark that not only offers a glimpse into the past but also provides a retreat into a world of timeless beauty and luxury.
The Biltmore Estate Offers Many Fall Activities
Fall is a beautiful time of year to visit the Biltmore, with the colorful transformation of the leaves all around and the crisp, cool air. Look at all the amazing things you can enjoy at the Biltmore during the fall months.
1. Complimentary Wine Tastings
The Biltmore offers a delightful and complimentary wine-tasting experience that is sure to please wine enthusiasts and novices alike. Located in the heart of the Biltmore Winery, visitors can savor a selection of handcrafted wines while hearing a brief history of Biltmore’s vineyards and wine operations.
- Reservations are required for all wine tastings and must be made on the day of your visit.
- Because our complimentary wine tastings fill up quickly, we recommend you reserve your tasting when you arrive at the estate at any Guest Services location.
- Minimum age of 21 to be served wine. Grape juice is available for underage guests!
2. Red Wine & Chocolate Tasting
Discover why chocolate and red wine are a match made in heaven! Featuring locally produced artisan chocolates from French Broad Chocolate and an opportunity to taste and experience the tactile attribute of a raw cacao bean, this tasting provides information about wine production at Biltmore and its effects upon the finished product.
- Limited Capacity: 20 Guests per Tasting
- $55 plus tax per person
- 45 Minutes
3. Italian Renaissance Alive
The brand-new multi-sensory experience is an enthralling voyage through Italy. It exposes the masterpieces of such icons as Michelangelo, Raphael, Botticelli, and Caravaggio and is set to compelling operatic music.
This must-see event immerses you in the beauty and brightness of George Vanderbilt's favorite works from the greatest artistic period in history, paying homage to Vanderbilt's lifetime appreciation for fine art.
- Now–September 4, 2023, Kids 16 & Under FREE
- Enjoy a 2nd Day of Gardens & Grounds Access FREE
4. Ciao! From Italy Sculptural Postcard Display
Each sculpture postcard is exquisitely handmade using natural materials and shows a place or landmark Vanderbilt visited more than a century ago. Vanderbilt's love of travel, culture, architecture, and art is revealed in this fascinating companion to the Italian Renaissance Alive exhibition at the Biltmore.
The G-scale model train that moves in and out of each postcard in this fascinating exhibit is an Italian creation that is guaranteed to be a success with kids of all ages!
- Included with admission
5. Live Music at the Bandstand
As talented jazz, blues, rock, pop, swing, bluegrass, and rock duos, trios, and bands perform outstanding 45-minute concerts, unwind to the beat and charm of Antler Hill Village.
- Included with admission
- May-September 2023: Sets begin on the half-hour at 5:30 until 9:15 p.m. (the last set starts at 8:30)
- October 2023: Sets begin on the half-hour at 4:30 until 8:15 p.m. (the last set starts at 7:30)
September 2023 Schedule:
- Fri. 9/1 – ONE LEG UP, Acoustic Swing
- Sat. 9/2 – SPEAK EZ, Motown, Soul, and Jazz
- Sun. 9/3 – STORMY WEATHER, Jazz, Ragtime, and Rock
- Fri. 9/8 – THE PATRICK LOPEZ EXPERIENCE, Pop, Jazz, and Latin
- Sat. 9/9 – SUPER 60’s, 60’s Music
- Sun. 9/10 – RED HOT SUGAR BABIES, 1920’s Hot Jazz
- Fri. 9/15 – ELLIOT AND THE UNTOUCHABLES, Blues
- Sat. 9/16 – FLASHBACK, Classic Rock
- Sun. 9/17 – FIRECRACKER JAZZ, Jazz
- Fri. 9/22 – KELLY AND THE COWBOYS, Rockabilly and Blues
- Sat. 9/23 – BUNCOMBE TURNPIKE, Bluegrass
- Sun. 9/24 – ANNE COOMBS QUARTET, Jazz, Swing, Bossa, and Pop
- Fri. 9/29 – MICHAEL STEVENS QUARTET, Jazz
- Sat. 9/30 – FREEPORT JAZZ, Smooth Jazz
- Sun. 10/1 – FRENCH BROAD PLAYBOYS, Western Swing and Country
Performance schedule subject to change.
For additional performance dates, please view the full schedule.
6. Afternoon Tea in The Dining Room
The Dining Room offers a unique take on the Vanderbilt custom of serving afternoon tea to visitors. Freshly baked scones, sweet and savory canapés, and delicate tea sandwiches are served alongside the world's finest teas. You may also enjoy a carefully crafted tea-infused cocktail, Mimosa, or Kir Royale.
- To participate in this activity, guests must have a daytime ticket, a Biltmore Annual Pass, or a stay at one of the estate’s splendid overnight properties.
- Resort Elegant attire (slacks, dress shirt, dress) is recommended and encouraged for Afternoon Tea in The Dining Room. Shorts, tank tops, flip-flops, and faded denim are not appropriate or permitted.
- $75 (plus tax and gratuities)
7. Rooftop Tour
This private guided tour provides a behind-the-scenes look at the planning and construction of Biltmore House in areas not accessible during a standard house visit, making it a truly unforgettable experience with exceptional photo possibilities. Take in the breathtaking views only accessible from the rooftop and balconies of the house as you imagine yourself a Vanderbilt (or cherished Vanderbilt visitor).
- Limited Capacity: 12 Guests per Tour
- Advance reservation required
- The tour includes 250 stairs with no elevator access.
- To participate in this tour, guests must have a daytime ticket, a Biltmore Annual Pass, or a stay at one of the estate’s splendid overnight properties.
- $45 plus tax per person
8. Guided Bike Ride
You go along the French Broad River and the lovely agricultural fields of the estate on this leisurely, easygoing adventure. Your guide will occasionally stop during your three- to five-mile ride to impart fascinating facts about the Vanderbilts, their visitors, and the natural history of the estate. The route includes flat, paved pathways, gravel-packed roads, and dirt trails.
- Advance reservations are required.
- To make reservations for this activity, guests must have a daytime ticket, a Biltmore Annual Pass, or an overnight stay booked at Village Hotel, The Inn, or Cottages on Biltmore Estate.
- Mountain and Comfort Bikes are available. A limited number of trailers and tag-a-longs are available for younger children.
- $40 Adult/Youth
- $30 Ages 9 & Under
Stay at Barkwells Near the Biltmore Estate
If you are traveling with your furry friend, be sure to look up Barkwells for your dog-friendly accommodations. At Barkwells, we create happy vacation memories for dogs with people who love them by providing exceptional vacation accommodations, fun, and freedom for dogs and their families. That means more to us than just allowing pets to stay in the room with you.
You can get discounted tickets to the Biltmore when you use the code in this link from our website!
If you are ready to book your memorable vacation with your dog, we would love to answer your questions and tell you more about how you and your dog(s) will be a welcomed guest. Contact us for more information, or reserve your place now on our website!